Macau is often referred to as Las Vegas of Asia; however, it has much more to offer than just extravagant casinos and expensive hotels. Macau has a really rich history which dates back to several centuries and its European past makes it even more interesting. If you are planning to explore this unique amalgamation of the Eastern and the Western culture, you must surely start preparing in advance as Macau can turn out to be quite expensive if you don’t have prior plans. You can also go through the list of Top 10 things to do in Macau to help you curate your itinerary. Below mentioned are some of the best tips that can help you save money and cheap travel to Macau.
Tour around the city with the Hop-on Hop-off Bus
1) Ride the Hop-on Hop-off Tour Bus: The best way to rush through the whole city of Macau and get to know about and see all the major Macau tourist attractions. Hop-on Hop-off bus even allows participants to get off at the attractions of their choice. They can hop on to the next bus that arrives at their hop-off point once they are done exploring the nearby attractions.
- Timings: 9:20 A.M. – 4:05 P.M. (First and Last Bus Departure Time from the first stop)
- Bus Frequency: Every 25 minutes
- Tour Prices: $26.06 (Adult), 18.19 (Chile)
- Booking Link: Click Here
2) Pick the right time to visit Macau: If you are planning a budget travel to Macau, you definitely need to stay away from planning a visit during the month of November, when the Macau Grand Prix is organized. The hotel prices as well as flight prices skyrocket around this period and might completely ruin your budget. Apart from that, you can plan to visit the city, based on your climate preference, without worrying about the expense hikes.
3) Use the free Casino shuttles to get around the city: Most of the grand casinos of Macau run free shuttle services and they are not even restricted to their very own guests! If you wish to travel cheap in Macau, this is the way to go! You can check out the schedules of these shuttles and board one, based on your preferences. The major casinos which you can look out for a free shuttle service that can take you all around the city are Galaxy, Venetian, Wynn, and City of Dreams.
- Venetian Shuttle Bus Schedule: Click Here
- Wynn Shuttle Bus Schedule: Click Here
- City of Dreams Shuttle Bus Schedule: Click Here
- Galaxy Shuttle Bus Schedule: Click Here
4) Visit free Attractions and Museums: Most of the Macau tourist attractions, including some of the best museums in the city, offer free entry to all. Moreover, the best of Macau can only be experienced by visiting these free attractions. Some of the free attractions that you must visit in Macau are Ruins of St. Paul’s, A-Ma Temple, Guia Fortress, and Senado Square. The legendary museums of the city which you can visit for free are Grand Prix Museum, Wine Museum, Macau Tea Culture House, Treasure of Sacred Art Museum, and Museum of Sacred Art and Crypt.
5) Get the Unlimited Attractions iVenture Card: Sadly, none of the attractions pass providers have started providing a travel pass exclusive for Macau. However, you need not worry, as iVenture Cards provides a travel pass which includes discounted entry of up to 45% to all the major paid attractions and things to do in Hong Kong & Macau. Moreover, most of the travelers out there usually visit Macau and Hong Kong on a single visit. If you too are one of them, then go ahead and grab this Hong Kong & Macau Unlimited Attractions Pass. This pass covers all the major landmarks of Macau sightseeing.
- Pass Prices: $120.44 (Adult), $106.89 (Children) (2-Day Pass); $174.63 (Adult), 147.53 (Children) (3-Day Pass); $216.63 (Adult), $175.98 (Children) (5-Day Pass)
- Booking Link: Click Here
6) Use the free WiFiGO: The Internet has surely become an essential commodity in each and everyone’s life. Moreover, when you are traveling in a foreign land where people do not speak your language, you surely cannot live without it (You will find very limited people in Macau who can communicate in English). We all know how expensive it could turn out to avail internet services while roaming internationally. To save on that cost, you can use the free wifi services provided by Macao SAR Government at government premises, public places, and other tourist attractions in Macau.
- Locate the Wifi Hotspots in Macau: Click Here
7) Explore the Communities Walking Tour Routes: If you have ample time to spend in Macau, one of the best ways to explore the hidden gems of this city in the cheapest way possible is by walking through its 8 Community Walking Routes. These 8 routes are dedicated to 8 different aspects/places of Macau. You can follow the maps available on the official Macau Tourism website, highlighting the landmarks that you can explore on each of these routes. This is the best way to experience the best of the city on your budget friendly travel to Macau.
- Footsteps into the Historic Centre: Click Here
- An Experiment of Creativity: Click Here
- Crossroads of China and Portugal: Click Here
- A Legacy of Arts and Culture: Click Here
- Enchanting Stories of Our Lady of Fatima Parish: Click Here
- The Marriage of East and West in St. Anthony’s Parish: Click Here
- Bygone Days of Taipa Village: Click Here
- Nostalgia in Coloane: Click Here
8) Hunt down the cheap delicious food: Food can actually turn out to be a really expensive affair while traveling. If you consider eating near the public places tourist attractions in Macau, it can actually be really expensive. However, if you want to enjoy the best yet cheap food in Macau, Red Market is the place to be. This 3-storey market has been existence since 1936 and offering the best local delicacies ever since.
- Timings: 6:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M.
- Information Link: Click Here
9) Get onto the free Airport Shuttle to reach the city center: Well, surprisingly, there are a number of free buses run from the airport all the way to the city center and the major hotels of the city! All you need to do is exit the arrival hall from the North exit and walk all the way to the parking lot, where you will find the free buses lined up to take you to the city. Moreover, a bus leaves for the city center from the Airport, every 15-20 minutes.
- Timings: 11:00 A.M. – 9:00 P.M.
- Information Link: Click Here
10) Watch Free Shows at the Casinos: Most of the grand casinos in Macau organize their very own grand shows. Some of them are to be paid for; however, several are free for all! Some of the best shows that you must go and watch are Performing Lakes at Wynn Macau, the Fortune Diamond Show at Galaxy, and Vaquarium at the City of Dreams. All the above-mentioned shows might not be organized on a regular basis. Do not forget to check the current status of the hows before visiting.
Macau has a lot to see and do and if you follow the above-mentioned tips, you shall easily be able to experience the best of this city at the least of the travel expenses. If you plan to visit a few more destinations in the near vicinity of Macau, the two most interesting cities that pop up in our minds are Hanoi and Hong Kong. To plan your visit to these two amazing cities with entirely distinct and interesting cultures as well as history, you must go through the Hanoi Travel Guide and Hong Kong Travel Guide.