Apart from being a financial hub, Atlanta also acts as one of the most touristy places in the USA. Moreover, it is a must visit for history lovers, shopping addicts as well as people who love to experience a great nightlife. Ranging from beautiful parks to iconic theatrical destinations, from natural sightseeing spots to man-made wonders, Atlanta as a city is a great destination for people seeking an interesting place to explore. If you are looking forward to exploring the best of the city within the little time that you have in your hands to visit Atlanta, the below mentioned 10 things to do in Atlanta must be there on your list. Also, the city is a great destination for a budget tourist destination. You can also follow these 10 tips to save money and travel cheap in Atlanta to have a budget friendly trip.
1) Explore the history behind the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site: Take a tour to the past by visiting the birthplace of one of the most important civil rights leaders at the National Historic Park. Martin Luther King Jr. was born and brought up in this very home. The site is also home to the Ebenezer Baptist Church, where he served as a pastor once; King’s grave, a number of museums, as well as several other landmarks and exhibits, form the complete National Historic Site, one of the most important destinations for Atlanta tourism.
- Entry: Free of Cost
- Timings: 9:00 A.M. – 5 P.M.
2) Visit the birthplace of Coca-Cola: Did you know that Coca Cola was invented in downtown Atlanta by a pharmacist in 1886? Dedicated to the most popular soda in the world, the World of Coca Cola is an interactive museum spread over an area of 92,000 square feet. It is one of the most important destinations in Atlanta for tourists. The most interesting part of the museum is its 4D theatre which takes you to the world of Cola. You can also try your hands on an old fashioned bottle capping machine. One of the most interesting parts, you get to taste over 100 Cola drinks from around the world.
- Entry Ticket (General Admission): $17 (Adult), $15 (Senior Citizen aged above 65), $12 (Children aged 3-12)
- Timings: 10 A.M. – 5 P.M.
- Booking Link: https://www.worldofcoca-cola.com/purchase-tickets/general-admission/
3) Visit Georgia’s past through the Atlanta History Centre: Every History Enthusiast’s first stop in the city should be the Atlanta History Centre. It is an educational complex with a grand collection of books, maps, newspaper clippings, as well as artifacts that depict the history of Atlanta, Georgia, as well as the whole South East in the best way possible. Also, the centre is famous for holding the biggest collection of America’s Civil War throughout the World. The Centre’s most important attraction is the Atlanta History Museum. Some of the other attractions of the centre include the Smith Family Farm, Swan Woods Trail, and the Margaret Mitchell House.
- Ticket Price (All-Inclusive Admission): $21.50 (Adult), $18 (Senior Citizen & Students), $9 (Youth)
- Timings: 9 A.M. – 4 P.M.
- Booking Link: Click Here
4) Spend a lazy afternoon at the Piedmont Park: Spread over a lush green area of over 200 acres, Piedmont Park is one of the favourite spots of locals. This beautiful park is fully packed with a number of activities to indulge in for travelers as well. This very park is also home to a number of events and festivals of the city and also holds a farmer’s market, every Saturday. You can also take a dive in its public pool and spend your time lazing around in the park on a sunny afternoon. The place also has a number of things to do for couples as well as families.
- Entry: Free of Cost
- Timings: 6 A.M – 11 P.M.
5) Watch a show at the iconic Fox Theatre: Established in 1929, travel back to the golden era of theatre by visiting the most important entertainment attractions of Atlanta city. This iconic movie theatre is now home to Broadway shows, comedy events, and concerts. Moreover, you can also take a tour of the palatial building to admire its luxurious interiors, done in ancient Egyptian and Spanish Architectural style.
- Booking Link: https://www.foxtheatre.org/events
6) Shop till you drop at the Shops Buckhead Atlanta: Atlanta has been the commercial hub of the Southern US for ages. The Shops Buckhead Atlanta, an outdoor shopping complex is one of the most important as well as beautiful shopping destinations of the city. Moreover, it is situated in one of the most high end neighbourhoods of the city, with twinkling lights, manicured plants, and pleasant music, making the place a pleasant delight. This walkable plaza houses some of the top most brands from around the world. It is also one of the major attractions to experience Atlanta nightlife without any safety constraints.
7) Visit the Centennial Olympic Park: Originally constructed for the 1996 Olympic Games, situated in downtown Atlanta, the park now exhibits several artifacts, pools, & fountains, with a series of pedestrian pathways, surrounded by greenery all around. The park is one of the most visited places in the city with the Fountain of Rings being the major attraction of the property.
- Entry: Free of Cost
- Timings: 7 A.M. – 11 P.M.
- Information Link: https://www.gwcca.org/centennial-olympic-park
8) Get in touch with the underwater life at the Georgia Aquarium: One of the most important places to visit in Atlanta for families with kids, home to more than 500 species with more than 60 habitats from around the world, the Georgia Aquarium is one of the most unique and rich aquariums of the world. One of the most important exhibits of the Aquarium is the Dolphin Exhibit & the Dolphin Show which provides visitors with an underwater viewing gallery for Dolphin sighting and a musical performance that reflects the important bond between the humans and these underwater creatures.
- Ticket Price (General Admission): $29.25 (Adult), $19.25 (Children), $24.25 (Senior Citizen)
- Timings: 10:30 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
- Booking Link: Click Here
9) Visit the Krog Street Market to experience a local Foodgasm: One of the best places to visit in Atlanta to experience its food scene. Formerly a Stove Factory, the Krog Street Market has transformed into the city’s most favourite food destination. Some of the most authentic and popular restaurants and eateries can be located in this very market. If you are a food lover too and wish to try out some of the best dishes of the city, it is a must for you to visit this chirpy place and try out some of the delicacies from locals’ favourites.
10) Explore the city through the Atlanta Beltline: Did you know that a major part of Atlanta was covered by railroads before the Civil War? 22 miles of railway loop situated in downtown Atlanta is being transformed into pedestrians with plants and art installations all around. The Beltline has become a major attraction for Atlanta tourism and is becoming a blank canvas for graffiti painters. Moreover, the areas around the beltline are being converted into parks. As of now, the Beltline already comprises 5 walking/biking trails, and seven parks and is being developed at a rapid pace. Once completed, it will become one of the biggest Urban Development Programs of the United States.
- Information Link: https://beltline.org/
The above mentioned 10 things to do in Atlanta will surely make your travel to Atlanta a great one. Also, it will make it much easy for you to decide what to do in Atlanta. Also, if you love traveling and plan to explore the cities of Orlando and San Francisco in the future, do not forget to check out these 10 tips to save money and travel cheap in Orlando and 10 tips to save money and travel cheap in San Francisco for planning a budget friendly visit to these amazing places.