There could not be a better city to visit if you wish to explore the history of America. Boston is the oldest city of America; however, it still remains away from the touch of metropolitans. To plan out your Boston trip in a better way, you can refer to the list of Top 10 things to do in Boston. Moreover, the city does not even have many attractions which charge a hefty amount of entry fee to the visitors. However, still, Boston is one of the most expensive cities in America, and visiting the same can turn out to be very costly. However, if you wish to budget travel to Boston with the least of the travel expenses, you can follow the below mentioned tips to save money and avail cheap travel to Boston.
1) Choose the right time to visit: Boston is less crowded, less expensive, as well as more beautiful during the winter. Visiting the city after the snowfall will enhance your visit to this beautiful city to a great extent. Moreover, it can really cut down on your trip budget, especially on flights, and accommodation charges, allowing you to travel cheap in Boston. The city is also lit up beautifully during the winters due to the upcoming festivals.
2) Get an MBTA Pass: The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority comprises the Boston Subway, Local Buses, the Silver Line, Commuter Rail Zone 1A as well as the Charlestown Ferry. A one way ride on the Boston Subway will cost you $2.90. However, if you get a weekly pass, you shall have to pay only $22.50 for unlimited rides. A monthly pass is also available for $90 and a daily pass for $12.75. Assess your travel plans and choose your MBTA Pass carefully.
- Information Link: https://www.mbta.com/fares/subway-fares
3) Get a GoBoston Pass: If you are willing to visit the maximum of the tourist attraction within the limited time that you are going to spend in Boston, it is a must for you to get an All-Inclusive GoBoston Pass. It is available, ranging from a time period of 1-7 days and will help you save money by at least 50% on the entry tickets of over 45 Boston tourist attractions. You can also opt for the “Build your Own Card” if you wish to visit only the limited attractions that you have already shortlisted for Boston sightseeing.
- Booking Link: https://gocity.com/boston/en-us
4) Catch up with all the Free Things to do in Boston: Boston is full of historic attractions, parks, as well as beaches which are free to visit and consume the majority of your time in the city. Visit the various tourist attractions in Boston on the Freedom Trail which do not charge you anything or just a minimal fee for the entry. Spend your time in the Boston Public Garden, Boston Common, and hike up to the Bunker Hills. Apart from the Freedom Trail, there are two more iconic trails in the city, the Black Heritage Trail, and the Irish Heritage Trail, which you can explore free of cost!
5) Food Trucks to the Rescue! Dining in restaurants in Boston can be really expensive and can completely ruin your budget travel Boston. However, a trip to Boston cannot be over without trying out its delicious local food. There are a number of Food Trucks in the city that will provide you with delicious, fulfilling, and cheap food Boston! Some of the most popular places where you can locate some of the best food trucks of the city are the Waterfront Neighbourhood, and the Greenway, situated along the North End. You can also visit the Boston Public Market to gorge on some cheap food in Boston.
6) Download the free Freedom Trail App and skip the guided tour: Freedom Trail is one of the most popular Boston tourist attractions. Taking a guided tour on the same could be really entertaining; however, expensive too! Skip the guided tour and download the free Freedom Trail app on your mobile and get ready for a virtually guided tour. This free app is loaded with the complete trail map, with detailed information about each and every attraction on the entire trail. The app is also equipped with complete historical audio commentary about the trail. Put on your headphones and enjoy a great tour of this legendary trail.
- Download Link for the app: Click Here
7) Skip the Expensive Bars, Visit the Breweries Instead! Did you know that Boston is one of the most expensive cities in the world to buy yourself beer? A pint of beer would cost you an average of $7.20! However, you can still find ways to chug down chilled beer. You can take a tour to the Samuel Adams Brewery where you will be required to donate only $2 and will get to sample 4 beers! Interesting, right? You can also head off to Harpoon Brewery where you can taste over 10 beers after paying only $5. There are a number of Breweries in the city that will offer you free beer just for a visit to their property! Happy Chugging!
8) Stay on the outskirts of the Downtown: Staying in the popular Downtown areas of Boston could be quite expensive. Staying outside the city could be much cheaper; however, not a smart choice due to the unavailability of public transport. You can extend your search for accommodation up to the extents of Commuter rail, where you will definitely get a great deal. It will conveniently connect you with the MBTA and prevent you from using a taxi or a car.
9) Replace your visit to the Boston Skywalk Observatory with a visit to the Bunker Hills: A visit to the Boston Skywalk, all the way to the top of the Prudential Tower is surely worth a visit to get the amazing views of the city. However, that does not come at a cheap price. Instead, you can replace your visit to the Prudential Tower with a visit to the top of the Bunker Hills. Moreover, Bunker Hill is the very place where the very first battle of the American Revolution was fought. Hike up the 294 of the Bunker Hills to witness some of the best views of the city, free of cost! Additionally, you will also get to know a lot about the history of the American Revolution on your way.
10) Take Advantage of the Free Museum Days and register for Free Fun Fridays: Most of the Museums in Boston have a free day every month. Try to visit the official website of the museums that you wish to visit and plan accordingly. You can also look out for the Free Fun Fridays during the summers, which offers a free or discounted entry to a selected number of museums, events, and festivals, in and around Boston, each Friday. Do remember to register yourself well in advance for the program if you are planning to visit the city during the summer months, as the number of registrations available are limited.
The above mentioned 10 tips can do wonders to bringing down your overall Boston travel expenses. Moreover, these hacks will also allow you to experience the best of the city, without having to empty out your pockets. To plan out your next trip, you can also refer to the list of Top 10 things to do in Boston and the list of Top 10 things to do in Orlando, for a better insight into the major attractions of these popular cities.